PALS testing begins this week and will continue through the end of next week. PALS is a phonological awareness literacy screening that is given 2 times per year. This screening is given to all kindergarteners once in the fall and again in the spring. I will administer it in our classroom throughout the next 2 weeks. Although Parent Teacher Conferences are on the schedule for this week, the Kindergarten Team will be waiting until the conclusion of PALS testing to hold conferences. I will contact you at the conclusion of testing and we can then set up a time to discuss your child’s PALS results and progress thus far at school.
Please, please, please make sure you are reading and logging in 2 steps (30 minutes of reading) each night at home. Also, is your child practicing Power Words each night for homework? We have learned 12 new words so far. Can your child recognize and read these words at Flash Speed?
This week we will:
- learn about the letters Yy, Zz and Vv (their sounds and proper letter formation)
- name words that begin with /y/ /z/ and /v/
- “stretch out” and spell lots of words
- review reading “old” Power Words
- continue to write and spell in our journals using sounds that we hear
- identify characters, settings and events that happen in stories we read aloud
- recognize and extend different patterns (AB, AAB, AABB, AAAB, ABC)
- identify numerals
- find patterns in numbers
- count by 10s and 1s
Homework for the week:
- cut apart your new Power Words~ practice reading them every day ~ keep them in your Ziploc bag so you don’t lose them!
- Read for 10 minutes 3 times, or read for 15 minutes 2 times, or read for 30 minutes one time each night. Log in your 2 books (2 steps) from home.
Important dates to remember:
- October – Box Top collection all month!!!
- October 18 – No School for students (Professional Development Day for Teachers)
- October 30 – Book Fair begins
- October 31 – Book Character Day (more info coming soon!)
Resource schedule for the week: (1:15 – 2:05 each day)
· Monday – Library
· Tuesday – Music
· Wednesday – no school
· Thursday – P.E.
· Friday – STEM
· Monday – Coding (Monday, 10/23)