Great job last week with Homework for the Week! Most of the boys and girls read for 30 minutes, logged in 2 Reading Steps at home, parents initialed in the “Home” sections and the boys and girls returned their books in the bag each day! Homework for the Week will continue in this way for the remainder of the Kindergarten year. In order to avoid getting behind on Reading Steps, it is very important that reading homework is completed each day. Thanks for helping your child settle in to this routine.
Also, the Kindergarten Team will not be holding Parent Teacher conferences on October 18 as we are still busy collecting data and learning all about your child. I will send a conference schedule home with your child at the beginning of November! Thanks for your patience!
This week we will:
· learn about the letters Jj, Kk, Ll, Ww (their sounds, proper letter formation)
· name, read and spell words that begin with /j/ /k/ /l/ /w/
· learn more about identifying characters, settings and events in read alouds
· use letters and sounds to write words and sentences
· count words in sentences
· review and read ‘old’ Power Words at flash speed
· learn new Power Words (this, I, at)
· recognize, create and extend patterns
· continue learning about the season of Fall
Homework for the Week:
· read for 30 minutes each night – Log in 2 books on your Reading Log each night to earn 2 Steps.
· Cut apart and practice your new Power Words each night.
· Practice reading (recognizing) your ‘old’ Power Words at flash speed.
Important Dates to Remember:
· Oct. 9 – Pajama Day for students in Room 103
· Oct. 10 – PTA meeting @ 6:30 and Back to School Night 6:45 – 8:00
· Oct. 12 – District-wide Pink Out day (wear pink!)
· Oct. 18 – No school for students
· Oct. 31 – Book Character Day (more info coming soon!)
Resource schedule for the week:
Monday – Music
Tuesday – P.E.
Wednesday – STEM
Thursday – Coding
Friday – ArtMonday (10/16) - Library