Thanks to all that have come to Parent Teacher Conferences so far! There are still open times remaining. Please let me know when you would like to meet if we have not had the opportunity yet. Report cards will be issued this week. We have been reading, reading, reading at school. We are all over 100 Reading Steps and have received our ‘100 Steps Red Wrist Band’. Our next goal is to get to 200 Reading Steps! Check your child’s log. He/she should have at least 142 Steps after your weekend reading. And…many thanks for the books that were donated to our classroom library by the families in Room 103 during our book fair!!!
This week we will:
- continue learning about the sounds of br, cr, dr, fr, gr, pr, and tr
- learn about the sounds of bl, cl, fl, gl, pl, and sl
- name, spell and read words that begin with /ch/ /sh/ and /th/
- learn more about short vowel sounds /a/ /e/ /i/ /o/ and /u/
- listen for beginning, middle and ending sounds in words
- recognize and read ALL of our Power Words at flash speed
- distinguish between fiction and nonfiction stories
- use letters/sounds to write our thoughts down on paper
- continue to be zoologist and learn all about birds
- count by 1s, 5s and 10s
- compare numbers and sets and identify more, fewer and the same
Homework for the week:
· read for 30 minutes every night
-Some things to check while your child is reading:
1. Is he/she touching the word that he/she is saying?
2. Is he/she making the beginning sound of an unknown word to figure it out?
3. Can he/she read random words that you point out after reading a page?
4. Is he/she recognizing and reading Power Words in the stories that you read together?
· record 2 steps in your reading log every night
· cut apart and practice your new Power Words
Important dates to remember:
- Nov. 14 – PTA meeting @ 6:45 and 2nd Grade Chorus performance @ 7:00
- Nov. 16 - Report Cards issued
- Nov. 22 - 25 - Thanksgiving holiday ~ No school
Resource schedule for the week: (1:15 – 2:05)
· Monday – Library
· Tuesday – Music
· Wednesday – P.E.
· Thursday – STEM
· Friday – Coding
· Monday, Nov. 20 - Art