This week we kick off ONE DISTRICT, ONE BOOK! It is a BIG book club across Isle of Wight County Schools. Your child will bring home a copy of Charlotte’s Web tomorrow. Every child in IOW Pre-K through 8th grade will be reading it. I encourage you to take this time to READ it to your child. We’ve spent so much time this year practicing our Kindergarten reading, let’s let the grown ups have a turn! J Your child will still bring home 2 books in his/her bag with their logs but feel free to use this reading time as your child’s 2 nightly Homework steps. If you read Charlotte’s Web for 15 minutes, then log that as a step. If you read it for 30 minutes, that’s 2 steps! Write the book in 2 times! Thanks for taking the time to be in this special club with so many other young readers!
This week we will:
- Learn about rain forest ecosystems, animals, plants, adaptations and food webs
- Identify fiction and nonfiction stories we read aloud
- Look for blends and digraphs when trying to read new words (bl, br, gl, dr, sp, sw, th, sh, etc.)
- Read Power Words at flash speed
- Use Power Words and letters to write our thoughts down on paper
- Decode and spell 1, 2 or 3 syllable words
- Continue learning about a penny, nickel, dime and quarter
- Recognize coins and their values
- Tell how many pennies makes a nickel, dime and quarter
- count backwards from a given number
Homework for the week:
- ask your child what our class G.R.E.A.T. goal was this week? (Respect) Ask what that means to him/her. Can he/she give you examples of some ways he/she showed respect last week?
- read for 30 minutes each night – log in 2 books that you read (or log in your Charlotte’s Web reading!)
- practice Power Words – can you read them at Flash Speed?
- log in and play with GiGi on ST Math if you are looking for more math practice at home!
Upcoming dates to remember:
- Mar. 5 - Book Fair opens and One District, One Book kick off
- Mar. 7 – Parent / Teacher conferences – no school for students
- Mar. 9 – Grand Lunch @ 12:25 – 12:55 for us!
- Mar. 13 – Kindergarten Chorus performance @ 7p.m.
- Mar. 15 – Spring picture day (optional)
Resource Schedule for the week:
· Monday – Chorus practice
· Tuesday – Chorus Practice
· Wednesday – No school for students
· Thursday – Chorus practice
· Friday – Chorus practice
· Monday, Mar. 12 – Chorus practice